Sunday, June 22, 2014

Business trip to Pekalongan: Looking for Batik and Good Lesson to Learn!

Last week I’ve got another chance to work out of Jakarta. This post just a little bit different with the others posts. I am not gonna talk about the beach, mountain or the other place that have a beautiful landscapes. Culture, I pick this topic because I have a very great opportunity to visit a place that had a worth to tell story about culture.  Pekalongan, one of region placed in central Java that very famous with BATIK. Batik is traditional cloth that is soooooo Indonesia. Nowadays, Batik becomes popular not only in Indonesia, but also in foreign country. Some Hollywood actress also wears Batik for some international event. You know start from Octobers 2, 2009 UNESCO had declared Batik as Indonesia’s Cultural Heritage. And officially Octobers 2 is a National Batik Day. (Source: Google)

Spent about a week in Pekalongan I really used the opportunity effectively.  One of popular placed in Pekalongan that sells various motif of Batik is in IBC (International Batik Center)- fortunately is my klienJ.









So I came to buy or sometime just to see the very popular Batik in town. There are several kind of Batik that we can buy here, start from the kids cloth, and adult cloth. The price is various. Start from the IDR 25.000 up to above million rupiahs, it depends on the fabric used. There is silk, cotton and so on. Or based on motif such as “batik tulis” and “batik cetak”.

Here is several kind of Batik that I got in International Batik center.








Unfortunately I couldn’t have a time to see the process of making Batik directly because of limited time.

Talking about culture, I can’t separate it with the habit of people over here. I found out the people here is so friendly. One fine afternoon, I walk around the city near my hotel. I just walk around to see how they live their life here. Every people I saw on the street give me the warm smile it just like welcoming smile. Haha I feel so comfort. Sometimes the best view isn’t just a beautiful beach, mountain and so on, but also the warmhearted people around you. It was so different with Jakarta where the people isn’t care each other. 

Then I saw the old man riding a rickshaw, he looks like so tired yet still gave me a smile. I know he was riding his rickshaw all day along. I stop by then, and just stare i dont even think to take his picture. Suddenly think about my job and realized that I could be so lucky than him but sometime I just couldn’t be grateful. Good lesson to learn, no matter how hard your work, you have to be grateful and enjoy it, because many people out there struggle their life to feed their family day by day.

Thanks to Klien and special thanks to rickshaw man that I saw on the street.
Pekalongan, June, 2014

No comments:

Post a Comment